[TowerTalk] Windmill Towers

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Mon Apr 19 18:34:58 EDT 2004

At 01:19 PM 4/19/2004, DF3KV at aol.com wrote:

>A small ex windmill tower has been installed recently at our clubstation
>DF0CG, www.df0cg.de
>
>The basic tower is 24m high and a rotating steel pipe of 14m has
>been added.
>Later in the year a 4-element fullsize yagi will be installed.
>
>I put some pictures of the installation on my picture-page:
>
>http://www.pbase.com/df3kv/40m
>
>73
>Peter

Peter, very nice photos of a very heavy-duty tower.

Here in the USA when speaking of an old windmill tower we
usually mean a tower constructed from angle iron pieces.
Here is a link to a photo of these types of towers.  30ft and 40 ft
were the most common but they could be purchased to about
twice this height--although the taller ones were very rare.

You can still see these, often abandoned, at smaller farms in the
midwestern USA.

http://www.pbase.com/image/3398534

73  John    W0UN