[TowerTalk] Short Dipole for 40

J. Keller k3bz at arrl.net
Tue Apr 20 15:06:40 EDT 2004

I would like to put up a lightweight dipole or maybe a 2L for 40M above my
3L SteppIR, but the XYL won't hear of any more trees being cut down, so I'm
limited to about a 20-foot turning radius. Researching the TT archives I
found mention of a "shorty forty" and further search uncovered a design
that's got 18.5-foot elements on either side of a center loading coil
(30-turn/2.5" dia.), fed direct with 50-ohm coax.  Has anyone got experience
with building and using something like this? Is it worth considering? What
would be the minimum acceptable separation above the SteppIR? Any better
alternatives?

73,  Jerry K3BZ