[TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Hardware

Bill VanAlstyne w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Sat Apr 24 19:01:24 EDT 2004

Good question, and I cop to repeating something I read on an anti-seize product
website.  :-)  Trouble is, I now can't find the site because I didn't bookmark
it. Unless or until I do find it, therefore, y'all may consider my paraphrased
admonition about "metallic particle wash-out and replacement by corrosive salts"
as BS. Which it may be anyway. :-) Thanks to Eric for challenging it. However,
I'm going to continue to look for the mystery site, and then at least we'll have
some real published assertions to debate.

I also checked one of my "Bible" sites for industrial materials, Loctite, and
found that their "marine grade" anti-seize product is in fact metal-free. It's
composed of petroleum grease, calcium oxide, graphite, and calcium stearate.
According to their anti-seize products brochure, "Formulated to protect
assemblies exposed directly or indirectly to fresh and salt water, Marine Grade
Anti-Seize works especially well in high humidity conditions. It has excellent
lubricity, superior water wash-out water spray resistance, and prevents galvanic
corrosion. ABS Approved." Elsewhere on their site, they recommend their
non-metallic anti-seize (they also make numerous metal-containing anti-seize
products) for marine and salt-air environment applications. For anyone
interested, this product is Loctite Marine Grade Anti-Seize, item numbers 34395
(8-oz) or 34026 (16-oz). I haven't checked extensively for retail outlets for
it, though McMaster-Carr doesn't carry it. They do carry a couple of other
non-metallic anti-seize compounds from other producers. I've just come to trust
Loctite products, because it's been my experience that they perform very well.
And Loctite's online technical reference library is really outstanding.

Bill / W5WVO