[TowerTalk] Brainstorming: A homebrew Steppir like beam....

Rob Frohne frohro at wwc.edu
Sun Apr 25 17:39:08 EDT 2004

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the interesting comments....

On Apr 25, 2004, at 2:21 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

> The mechanical challenges of something like the SteppIR would be a good
> problem for a mechanical design class.  However, what YOU want is an
> antenna
> that has dipole like performance over a wide frequency range, and a
> mechanically adjusted element is but one way to solve the problem.
Actually, what I want is more like an adjustable yagi, somewhat like
Steppir does, but perhaps using drooping elements to make the size
smaller.  The dipole is a first step to that end.  You don't want to
bite off more than you can chew at once, and so I figured starting with
a dipole would be a good first bite.

> What
> about a low loss antenna tuner at the feed point of a fixed dipole? A
> good
> systems analysis might show that it's just as good a solution.  Another
> alternative (requiring less adjustment range for the tuner) would be a
> multi band dipole, with a few different length wires... the interaction
> problem that makes tuning so difficult for the "tunerless" version
> isn't a
> big deal here.  All you want is the wire to be "about the right
> length" for
> the band, and the tuner takes care of the reactance for the last bit.
> (This is basically what the dual band whips from SGC do.. they combine
> helical element with a straight one, to make a wide band antenna
> without
> requiring too much range from the tuner at the base).

The idea of using a tunable inductor isn't bad.  The screwdriver
antennas seem to be based on this idea, and work pretty well at higher
frequencies.
> A good analysis might tradeoff the reliability of stepper motors
> driving
> metal tapes/wires vs actuators (relays, motors, etc.) driving some
> other
> form of reactive component (lumped inductor/capacitor).
>
> You'd also need to look at the losses in the lumped elements vs the
> losses
> in the tapes.  Both can be made very low, but there's a
> cost/performance
> tradeoff.
>
> The fixed length wire with a tuning network won't necessarily have a
> classical "free space dipole" pattern, but then, in a real
> installation with
> feedlines, towers, buildings, trees, and real earth, neither will the
> adjustable length dipole.  A question which could be answered by
> modeling,
> in a quasi-quantitative way, is whether the difference is
> "significant".  If
> you've got a dipole, odds are you aren't looking for tenth of dB
> performance
> changes.
Personally, I'm not looking for tenths of a db change.  I don't think
the general audience for an antenna of this type is really looking for
that either.

>> I've had several ideas which I'll throw out below.
>>
>> 1)  It would be nice to use readily available consumer or surplus
>> parts
>> in order to keep the cost down, and since this is about the only way
>> make homebrewing cost effective these days.
>> 2)  Hollow fiberglasss poles seem to be readily available at
>> reasonable
>> cost, from Steppir itself and from other sources like Antenna Mart.
>> 3)  I did some computer simulations and if pulleys are put on the end
>> of the fiberglass tubes and wires are run down over those pulleys
>> (perhaps with some small weights on the end of the elements), to make
>> kind of half quad the radiation resistance is still high enough in a
>> yagi so efficient operation can be had.  The gain is almost the same
>> as
>> a regular yagi.  If this configuration is used, it seems more natural
>> to have the pulleys go in a horizontal plane to match those on the end
>> of the elements than the way Steppir did it.
>> 4)  You could also use threaded rod to change the size of the
>> elements.
>>   In this case I can only imagine changing the size by a factor of 2
>> easily.
>
> Unless you use multiple rods, stacked.  There are some clever schemes
> for
> doing this.
I've thought about this, but all my ideas seemed kind of complicated.

>> 5)  If you use BeCu strips like FluidMotion, there is an issue with
>> machining the strips, because the dust is toxic.  You can get the BeCu
>> strips without any holes in them though, and that seems safe to me if
>> you don't machine them.  You could use a combination of strip and
>> wire.
>
> Or, just use flat strip and some other way to measure the length: Some
> form
> of encoder and printed markings? Look at reflected power and adjust to
> minimize? For the latter, you could use open loop to slew to "about"
> the
> right length, and then close the loop to fine tune.
Yes, lets hear some more ideas like this.

> One might also be able to order BeCu strips with holes in them.
I sure would like to be able to do that.  The guys at Steppir told me
that they have to machine the holes themselves, but it would be a great
breakthrough to be able to find the strips with holes at a reasonable
price.  I did a little checking with some manufacturers, but didn't
have any luck there.  Don't let me discourage anyone though, because I
wasn't thorough.

73,

Rob

--