[TowerTalk] BPL article.... amazing....!!!

kb9cry at comcast.net kb9cry at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 11:20:24 EDT 2004

I haven't yet submitted my comments but I'd like to point out one flaw in all of this BPL discussion and "testing" that is being performed. Let me quote from the original article mentioned in this thread:

"While the radiation from the power lines will be real, I suspect the
 signal level to be pretty low."
"The FCC says that there may be some interference.."
"If a ham's station and antenna are
close to the power lines, there may be some interference. How many
hams will be impacted? Hard to say, but probably not many."
"Not really, simply because the Part 15 radiation levels
are so strict. I predict that the same will occur with BPL."

If you read carefully through these lines and the FCC's NPRM and other BPL comments by BPL providers you will see a common theme.  Everyone is believing or predicting or suppossing but no one, even the FCC, is stating anything.  The following rant will be the basis of my NPRM comments.  Last time I went to a physics class, electro magnetic theories were proven scientific facts that could be predicted and measured.  How many of these BPL test do you see a BPL network put into service and then the BPL provider just waits for complaints.  If no complaints come forth, then the test is deemed a success and interference is deemed to not exist nor be harmful.  How un-scientific (or is that non-scientific) testing is that.  The BPL testers can obtain HF receivers or even use a spectrum analyzer to measure for themselves the degree and levels of interference.  And, I think that the FCC should mandate that this be done by the BPL providers.  If properly designed and executed scientific
  testing was performed then BPL providers as well as the FCC can then say "We know..." rather than theorizing.  This is a science not a religion.  One can actually have proof.  Phil  KB9CRY