[TowerTalk] Using Belden 9913 on a crankup?

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Tue Apr 27 13:33:09 EDT 2004

I would not use 9913 on a crankup tower. It's way too stiff and will bow
out. Over time, the constant bending will cause the center conductor to
migrate, affecting the cable impedance. I initially used the much more
flexible Times Microwave LMR-400UF, but even that was too stiff. I had a
near-disaster when the LMR bowed out, swung around the tower and got caught
on the motor housing (I have a remote-controlled tower and can't see it from
the control position.) Ever since, I've used RG-213 with no problems. That
should be fine on a 50-foot tower. However, some comparisons between RG-213
and Buryflex revealed that the latter is actually more flexible. It also has
much lower loss. You can get Buryflex from Radioware
(http://www.radio-ware.com/).

73, Dick WC1M