[TowerTalk] Using Belden 9913 on a crankup?

Ed Kucharski k3dne at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 27 17:12:21 EDT 2004

At 02:43 PM 4/27/2004 -0600, Bill VanAlstyne wrote:

>c) Up to about 200 MHz, the claimed losses per 100 ft are essentially
>identical -- but above that, the Belden 9913F7 starts looking better and
>better
>compared with the Bury-Flex, which isn't even spec'ed above 1 GHz. (Belden
>9913F7 is spec'ed up to 4 GHz.) At 1 GHz, for example, the Belden 9913F7 is
>spec'ed at 4.6 dB / 100 ft, while the Bury-Flex is spec'ed at 5.3 dB / 100 ft.

Watch the power ratings of 9913F7 on VHF and UHF however!  If you run legal
power on 144MHz, over 800 watts on 222MHz or over 500 watts on 432MHz those
power levels exceeds the nominal power ratings on the 9913F7 per it's web
page.  For this reason alone I chose the Bury-Flex product for my rotor
loops on my VHF-UHF station.  Bury-Flex is more stiff then 9913F7 but the
jacket is tougher and less prone to accidental slices or nicks than
9913F7.  Before choosing Bury-Flex I email'd the company about power
ratings since I could not find reference to it on their webpage and this is
the response I recevied:

"Tnx for the inquiry. At 140 MHz Bury Flex Tm can be run up to 2500 watts
pep if VSWR is below 1.3/1. At 450 Mhz, 1600 watts pep, vswr < 1.3/1. These
ratings are at maximum CW of 5 seconds due to cable dissipation
characteristics."

73,
Ed K3DNE