[TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops

Steve Meuse smeuse at mara.org
Wed Apr 28 13:14:15 EDT 2004

At 08:50 PM 4/27/2004 -0500, Lou Laderman wrote:

>Mention was made of using a different, more flexible coax for rotor
>loops than used on the main coax lines.  I've seen this suggested
>elsewhere also. I've also heard (and followed) advice that you're better
>off with a continuous run of coax than breaking the line with a
>connector, and inserting losses in the line.  Which is correct?

I would do the math. If I knew the loss from the connectors (say 1db for
example), I would see if 200' of a rigid cable minus the 1db loss would be
more beneficial than a single 200' run of a flex cable with no connector loss.

Of course, I personally don't know what the loss figures are for
connectors, and It's always been something of a mystery. I've heard
uniformed people mention out loud, about .5db per break, but I don't have a
clue.

-Steve
N1JFU