[TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Apr 28 19:36:41 EDT 2004

> At 03:34 PM 4/28/04, Steve Meuse wrote:
> >So, after reading the responses back to the list, you don't really have
> >worry about inserting any major "connector loss". Now just calculate dB
> >loss per foot at the desired frequency.
>

> Except that ... connectors are perhaps the major source of feedline
> problems, through improper installation, water ingress, and the

You can eliminate all of these except the "good connection" part by simply
using "flooded" heat shrink tubing to conver the entire splice.  It also
adds considerable mechanical strength and reduces the stress on the
connectors themselves.

When it comes to the mechanical end of the splice practice and care are two
elements for making a good connection.

Another is to use a male on one end and female on the other, eliminating the
barrel connector in between. This coupled with the flooded heat shrink
tubing makes for strong mechanically sound splices that are also neat.  OTOH
you have to remember that piece of coax is "special purpose" <:-))

Any more, I only use tape, be it plastic or liquid, when it is absolutely
necessary.
BTW, the last time I had a failure in the antenna system it was an N type
barrel connector. It looks like new, but shows a dead short.

The new flooded heat shrink has really simplified splices.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com