[TowerTalk] BPL: Presidential Backing

Bill NY9H ny9h at arrl.net
Thu Apr 29 11:14:18 EDT 2004

I just sent off the following web response to the  Citizen Utility Board,
a VERY active group in Illinois.  These guys are VERY TOUGH on the
utilities in Illinois....   read on ,  you will get my drift .....
I noted it as an inquiry rather than a complaint....

*******************
inquiry..  i understand that the state 'allows" the power utilities to make
a certain "profit" on their operations.. since they have a monopoly. So far
ok.  Now I see electric companies I believe Peoria is the first in our
state , trying to compete with the cable companies offering internet "over
the powerlines."  I've been selling these technologies for 15 years; and I
see no way is it economically feasible to succeed.. technically a lost
cause. The promoters suggest service to rural america, yet the
infrastructure needed to go inplace to provide such service, would make
them more expensive than cable !!  BUT WE ' GUARANTEE THEM THEIR 8%
PROFIT...  but they will need to bury the infrastructure losses in our
electric bills.
Am I missing something... they havbe a hard enough time maintaining their
current infrastructures....  HELP ME IF I CRAZY....i DON'T WANT TO PAY MORE
FOR MY ELECTRIC BECAUSE COMED OR CILCO TRIES TO COMPETE WITH COMCAST  , SBC
& COX.
I would think this would be an issue for all the state advocacy groups ???

In addition, this technology got tossed from Japan & many European
countries because it interfered with radio communications. ( yes I am very
concerned about that aspect)
but I'm afraid we will have to pay for a BIG LOSER...
Are these regulated agencies precluded from going into other businesses
using their capital  and regulated cash ???

maybe I'm barking up a wrong tree, but  many states have similar watchdog
groups ,  who regularly SUE their utilities....and get money back for the
users.
If BPL is not a good business model ... the utility boards should be
screaming about wasting money ... just a thought..
( we could at least make them aware of the bad business model.....
     especially if they have to turn it off , after a legal complaint.!!!

bill ny9h

I sent this off to ed hare and was reminded that it is more effective if
the  comments come from the local utility customer.
I suggest you ALSO enlist your local watchdog group....
maybe they will get some "print"... they are good at that.