[TowerTalk] Tower Insurance

G.E. Tucker gtucker at bostoneng.com
Thu Apr 29 21:00:10 EDT 2004

I've had ARRL insurance since 1988, covering radios and usually a couple of
PCs. The same company started offering tower/antenna coverage a few years
ago, but I don't have it since I don't have any towers (just use trees; I
guess I could insure a few antennas though).

I've made a few claims and never had any problems. In all cases it was
lightning damage. They will replace the equipment or pay the repair. You
have to go ahead and get it fixed and send them the bill. Or replace
unrepairable equipment (and get someone qualified, and not yourself, to
provide a statement what the problem is/that it's unrepairable), and present
the bill for the replacement items along with the statements about the
unrepairable equipment.

One advantage of this insurance is that you can insure items for what you
paid new or what would be the current 'replacement cost'. It can happen, for
example, that you have a PC worth say $2500 new, keep it a few years, and it
gets totalled by lightning. Get someone at a  local repair shop to examine
it, and give you a written statement that it's totalled, buy a new current
PC for $2500, and the insurance company will pay you $2500 (minus deductable
of $50 or so). I think other insurance may only pay the current market value
(low) of older stuff.

73 George W5VU