[TowerTalk] ? AMERITRON REMOTE COAX SWITCH

Bill VanAlstyne w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Fri Apr 30 11:58:07 EDT 2004

Hi Joe,

One caveat to what I said about "self-wiping" relay contacts -- obviously
the contacts are only self-wiping if they have the opportunity to wipe. If
you actuate an open-frame relay only rarely, it's distinctly possible that
some contamination could build up on the contacts. My preventative
maintenance -- and so far, so good -- is to twist the selector knob back and
forth a bunch of times through all its positions every so often with the
RCS-8V power on, so all the relays get some action. New Mexico is one of the
dustiest places in the U.S., and thus far, in a year or so, I haven't had
any problems with intermittent contacts.

73,
Bill / W5WVO