[TowerTalk] Alternate method, PL-259 on RG-8-type coax

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Fri Apr 30 12:18:18 EDT 2004

I use a similar method here where I solder the braid not through the
four holes, but at the rear end of the connector.  When trimming the
braid prior to inserting the coax into the connector, I cut it well
short of the "normal" length, to where it does not even show through the
four holes.  Unlike the original poster, I do not fold back the braid, I
just keep it short and straight.

This has several advantages:

1.  Much less heat is required for soldering.  A 25-watt pencil iron
will do the job, something impossible using the four hole method.

2.  It is much easier to see if you have made a good connection.  When
the four holes are filled with solder, you are never sure if you have a
good connection underneath.

3.  Because the braid is trimmed farther back, the chance of a single
strand going astray and causing a short to the center conductor is all
but eliminated.

4.  The solder completely seals and weatherproofs the rear end of the
connector.  This does not make the *entire* connector weatherproof of
course, but goes a long way.

5.  It's a lot easier overall.  To someone as lazy as I, an important
consideration.  :-)

I've been using this method for a couple of years now with zero
problems.  Give it a try; I think you'll like it.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW