[TowerTalk] Disconnecting wire antenna and grounding at the tower

Alan Beagley AB2OS at att.net
Fri Apr 30 15:32:25 EDT 2004

I have a wire antenna fed through an auto-tuner (Icom AH-4: 80m thru 6m)
that will be mounted at or near the top of the tower (at present mounted
on a pipe mast attached to the house). Obviously I can protect the rig
by disconnecting the feeder at the shack end and grounding it, but how
do I protect the tuner?

I really need a remotely operated relay (latching?) that will disconnect
the wire from the tuner and ground it and also ground the antenna
terminal of the (now disconnected) tuner.

Any ideas for a suitable device, or a suitable relay I can incorporate
in a home-brew solution?

Alan AB2OS