[Fwd: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 Meter Bazooka]

Michael A. Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Sun Aug 1 13:17:36 EDT 2004

> It had no more bandwidth than a dipole made from thick wire.
> It required a balun just the same as any other dipole.
> It was no quieter.
> It was, as far as I could tell, just a little bit less
> efficient.

Mike wrote

Its my understanding that the "ONLY" advantage to a bazooka is that based
upon the diameter of the coax used when compared to stranded wire of the
same diameter the bazooka is lighter, but as you point out still heavier
than a traditional dipole using stranded (or even solid) 12-14 AWG.

Its also my understanding if you are building one for the increased
(percieved ?) bandwidth then you need to use the cheapest RG-59 with the
least percentage of braid coverage possible.  Anything less, just use a
traditional dipole.

Now here's a tag question to which I've never gotten a satisfactory answer
for,  I've been told that THHN insulated 12 AWG solid wire while needing
to be slightly longer than unsulated wire will produce the same results of
that of a bazooka when it comes to bandwidth.  Is there any truth to that?

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com