[TowerTalk] 160 Meter Bazooka]

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sun Aug 1 13:35:55 EDT 2004

> Now here's a tag question to which I've never gotten a
satisfactory answer
> for,  I've been told that THHN insulated 12 AWG solid wire
while needing
> to be slightly longer than unsulated wire will produce the
same results of
> that of a bazooka when it comes to bandwidth.  Is there
any truth to that?

The coax is thicker, and the thickness gives a little bit
more bandwidth than a thinner wire, but basically the THHN
and coax will be the same.

I had a really tough time measuring the difference here.

If you want to make a wide-band antenna, use a bowtie or
space a few thin wires in parallel a few feet apart.