[TowerTalk] AB577/GR TOWER INFO

Bob Allen mcamp at gmavt.net
Fri Aug 13 10:46:35 EDT 2004

Dave,
Our club owns 2 of them that we use for Field Day, we are 2A and run one
tower with a 20meter yagi just above the top of the ab577 and a 15 meter
yagi 9 ft above it on a 1 5/8" od pipe (fencing pipe) that goes in the
original mast top fitting with 2-3' a piece of  1.9" pipe as a spacer.
this setup stood 40-50 mph winds this year ! A tree limb even came down
and hit a guy wire,  the report I got from that was the tower shook a
little when the limb hit.
The other tower has has a Mosley TA-33m (senior- tribander 10-15-20m) on
it with 9' ft. of pipe holding up the spreader for our delta loop. This
tower didn't even quiver during the blow.
The biggest issue we have is looseness in the joints that makes erecting
these difficult and I fixed it by making .005"T shims for the the joint
and that problem was cured.
Note that the Yagi we use are fair sized 14-20" booms and 15-28'
elements, all three element, on the 15-20m tower that is a fair wind
load and with the 15m up 9' there is quite a lever arm on the top of the
mast but it worked fine.
Don't break the winch as they are hard to get.
BTW cost to the Gov. $15000, remember it's not their money.
Brag line: we finish in the top 10 at FD a lot, call W1NVT .
Hope this helps
Bob
KB1FRW
73