[TowerTalk] grade 5 bolts

K4FJ at aol.com K4FJ at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 17:21:57 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/16/2004 5:00:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cqtestk4xs at aol.com writes:

The Home  Depots and Lowes in the Tampa area do NOT carry grade 5  either in
Galvanized or Stainless.  If you live in a fairly large city,   check the big
specialty houses that carry just fasteners, screws, bolts  and  such.  The
only
problem you may face is a minimum order,  generally around  $50.

Bill  K4XS

Bill's advise is best, but I am fairly sure I did but grade 5 bolts at
either Home Depot or Lowes in Fredericksburg, VA or Alexandria, VA.

So, maybe it varies with Home Depot and Lowes, and maybe not.  Look  for the
three tick marks on the bolt head.  Whatever I bought was  galvanized, and not
stainless.  I find the latter undesirable for the  price, because it is too
easy to paint galvanized hardware for long term  protection and it is stronger.

73, Steve