[TowerTalk] ballpark costs for a tower (installed)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 24 01:19:31 EDT 2004

Well, "horses for courses" or "non disputandum de gustibus" etc..

Certainly, there folks for whom scrounging and improvising are part of the appeal (that would be me!), but there are probably equally as many for whom spending dozens of precious leisure hours would be prohibitive.  I'm trying to "bound the tradespace".  Some hams are cheap and scroungers, others have significant time commitments, but larger cash resources.  $10K sounds like a big pile of money (to me, anyway), but compared to a $30K swimming pool, maybe not.  Consider the demographics.  You might have a technically sophisticated wanna be ham who makes $100K/yr in the .com industry, but doesn't have hours to spend at hamfests or scotchbriting the joints between sections.  For them, if they're interested in fooling with ham radio, it might be a good trade to just buy the tower and pay someone to put it up.  Hey, if you're Paul Allen, you can put up your own OSCAR if the mood strikes.

As several of the posters have pointed out, one can put up a better configuration for substantially less cash (but at a substantial outlay of time and effort and luck).  I'm sure you can also spend a whole lot more, and achieve less.

And, yes, of course, one can have a perfectly good time with a wire over a tree, however, I was trying to describe a sort of middle of the road (capability wise, not necessarily the average ham's) station in a suburban area.  Not a multi-monoband DX contest killer, nor a random wire fed by a tuner.