[TowerTalk] Tower costs

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 11:25:18 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 11:01 AM
To: 'towertalk reflector'
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower costs

How do you (generic "you") know what loads your roof will stand? How can you
be sure that a good strong wind -- 60mph, 80mph -- won't take the antenna
and the tower and a section of roof -- or the whole roof -- with it?

Alan NV8A

A PE could give you the requirements or you could calculate the requirements
yourself.  The math isn't complicated. There are several references that
outline the recommended method of installing rooftop towers. Glen Martin has
a page here:  glenmartin.com/catalog/page155.html

This was not a consideration here since the roof (and the house) were built
to commercial standards with structural steel.  At my other old (many years
ago) house, I reinforced the roof by installing 2x6 beams in the attic
across the rafters, and installed hurricane clips (which weren't required in
KY) until I was satisfied the roof was secure.  I also installed the 2X6
beams on the roof and used steel bolts through the inside beams.  I've also
had an assortment of towers through the years, and when I put up a 70 footer
in a city lot, I guess my roof was more at risk from the steel tower falling
into it than my rooftop tower coming off.  I also used rooftop towers when I
lived in Europe (almost 10 years) on the top of apartment buildings.  Never
had a problem.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"