[TowerTalk] climbing towers not built by pros

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Aug 25 08:13:56 EDT 2004

At 05:16 AM 8/25/2004, Csamiam5 at aol.com wrote:

>Would you climb a tower built by some one other than a pro?
>

>   Sammy F. Smith
>

>   270-577-0708

Yes, of course.  I climb my 97-foot Rohn 25 frequently.  I built it myself,
my first tower, with the advice of other experienced hams and a lot of
input from Towertalk.  I *do* routinely check the guy anchors, all
turnbuckles, etc. before I get on the tower.  I would be more careful of
towers built by other people, particularly if I was unaware of the status
of preventive maintenance, and I'm aware that a lot of unsafe towers are
out there..

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on August 2, 2004