[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 20, Issue 73

Keith Dutson kjdutson at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 09:22:14 EDT 2004

I built my first tower using locally purchased steel.  The legs were one
inch by 1/8 inch box tubing.  The braces were 1 inch wide 1/8 thick plate.
Each section was 10 feet in length with one size larger box tubing slipped
over each bottom leg.  The top section had 1/8 plate on the top.  All
sections were galvanized.  The tower was 70 feet tall.  The base was poured
with Sakrete mixed in a wheelbarrow.  The tower was attached to an eve on
the house at 25 feet.  Three steel guys were attached at 50 feet and
terminated at tree trunks.  One 11 meter Quagi (Avanti) was placed on top
rotated with a CDE 45.

Yes, it was for CB!

Yes, a violent storm with 100 MPH winds took it down!

No, I would not do it again!

Keith NM5G