[TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Aug 30 15:23:14 EDT 2004

<snip>
> When you inspect the rotor, check the four self-tapping
> screws that hold the top and bottom halves of the housing
> together. See if they are backing out, sheared off, or
> missing. These screws are a major weak link in the Ham IV,
> especially rebuilt units, because aluminum is removed from
> the upper housing each time these screws are removed and

To reinstall these "self tapping" screws, insert them and then rotate them
*backwards* while holding a light pressure on the screwdriver until you feel
the "click" of them dropping into the threads. Then gently turn forward to
make sure they are aligned with the old threads.  Done carefully (you may
have to repeat the back and fourth movement to get the alignment) the screws
will not remove any additional metal.  They should feel like any other screw
with very little resistance until nearly tight.

This also works in almost any "self tapping screw" installation such as
electrical panels.
It also adds life to the installations.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com