[TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Mon Aug 30 22:30:02 EDT 2004

> Fellow Tower Talkians:
>
> Many many, thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions.
>
>  From your suggestions I may have isolated the problem to the rotor
> control box (I hope) so I don't have to go rent a scisors lift and crank
> down my TriEx WT51.  Now to get out the trusty DMM and check the box.
>
> The rotor rotates fine, and the brake release releases as it should.
> Just the rotor box indicator needle goes crazy back and forth.  Just got
> through testing it Monday evening  (again) with the help of my XYL
> Cheryl, WY5H who hit the brake release and then the CW and CCW levers
> separately as I was talking her through it on 2 meters.
>
> Tom, WW5L

Dig into your parts bins and find a 500-ohm (linear taper is best) pot and
put it across the appropriate control box terminals (after disconnecting the
rotator pot wires, of course)?  If you still get meter swings, that should
verify the problem is internal to the box and not the control cable or
rotator.

73,
dale, kg5u