[TowerTalk] BN-86

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Wed Feb 18 12:40:20 EST 2004

When I had a TH-7, I replaced the BN-86 with the BN-4000. The latter worked
fine for high-power contesting for years. The replacement was induced by a
mechanical failure of the BN-86 that was unrelated to transmission power
(the balun exploded when the coax on my tubular crankup snagged -- a long
story.)

I recently tried to replace a BN-86 or BN-4000 (can't remember which) on a
friend's TH-7 with a Cal-AV FB-1 choke balun. It didn't work -- the SWR was
too high and inconsistent across the band. Neither of us understood why this
didn't work. As far as I know, the BN-86 and BN-4000 are 1:1 baluns, right?

73, Dick WC1M