[TowerTalk] Strengthening Insulated Push-up Pole Base

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jan 2 19:06:16 EST 2004

I have had good luck using a piece of PVC whose ID is equal to the OD of
the mast and then running several bolts through the pair... then put
u-bolts around the outside of the pvc to secure it.

On one antenna I have a pipe set in the ground which I u-bolt a plate
onto at the base... onto this plate a hinge is bolted... the far side of
the hinge is bolted to another plate which u-bolts pass through and
around that outer piece of PVC...

A plate without the hinge and u-bolt attachments for both the pvc
(antenna) and the supporting pipe is attached to the pvc up about four
feet from the hinge base...

The hinge allows the antenna to be built/service horizontally and then
walked up to vertical and the second plates u-bolts hold it vertically...

Be careful to have the bolts passing through the pvc and the antenna not
short against the sunken support pipe.

Works real good - in a pinch one man can do the tilt over operation but
of course it is safer with two to avoid it getting from you.

HNY

Jim, K4OJ