[TowerTalk] Re: AC electric winch

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Jan 3 16:00:56 EST 2004

I just (last December) bought a 12V winch on ebay that has 1500 lbs dead
weight capacity and is fully reversible.
It has a 1/2 HP motor and will pull 500 lbs at 12 ft/mn (35A current at
that load) when the cable is on the first layer.

I use it with my folding tower. The only problem was that it came with 30'
of cable, where I needed about 36'. I was able to transfer the cable from
my old manual winch to this one. It is a little larger, but still fits
nicely on the spool. In my case, the maximum load occurs when the cable is
completely out to 1/2 reeled in. When the spool is almost full, the load
goes down to zero.

Beside a kind of grinding noise when it runs, it seems to be doing fine.
Time will tell.

I paid $65 plus shipping for the winch. I power it from a 12V AGM battery
located inside the house, with about 50' of #8 wires. There is appreciable
power loss through the wires, but acceptable for my purpose.

By the way, the winch IS made in China (how did you know? :-)

73,
Didier KO4BB