[TowerTalk] Weight of mast material

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 23:47:31 EST 2004

Our moderator has spoken before about an additional element you must
consider regarding long masts... it is the dreaded:

Pucker Factor

This is when you are at the top of the tower juggling a behemoth mast
and it decides it wants to go in a direction other than the one you are
desirous of it attaining.

It is at this moment that your mind immediately recollects your high
school physics class and the wisdom of Archimedes...

When weight (chrome moly masting) that is at the end of a long lever
(the mast) - it is incredible how it can get so heavy SOOOO FAST!

As that weight's force vector takes on more of sideways component you
atop the tower tend to understand just what the

Pucker Factor

Is all about...

Yes, been there, felt that! Gulp...

I highly encourage a visit to the web site of K7NV, although not quite
as interesting as it once was, for tips on using physics to your
advantage... I am a big fan of the block and tackle and Kurt has some
great illustrations of it there.

It may check in at a dead weight of about 90 lbs but it will feel like
9000 if it gets sideways on you!

73,

Jim, K4OJ