[TowerTalk] Weight of mast material

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jan 21 02:34:00 EST 2004

At 11:47 PM 1/20/04 -0500, Jim White, K4OJ wrote:
>Our moderator has spoken before about an additional element you must
>consider regarding long masts... it is the dreaded:
>

>Pucker Factor
>

>This is when you are at the top of the tower juggling a behemoth mast and
>it decides it wants to go in a direction other than the one you are
>desirous of it attaining.
>
>It is at this moment that your mind immediately recollects your high
>school physics class and the wisdom of Archimedes...
>
>When weight (chrome moly masting) that is at the end of a long lever (the
>mast) - it is incredible how it can get so heavy SOOOO FAST!
>
>As that weight's force vector takes on more of sideways component you atop
>the tower tend to understand just what the
>
>Pucker Factor
>
>Is all about...

 From the Unabashed Plug department, the upcoming issue of the PVRC
Newsletter will include an article by K4ZA describing a uniquely clever
solution to reducing the pucker when doing this job.  It will be available
February 1 on the web site at www.pvrc.org -- scroll down to the "News"
section for the link.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm