[TowerTalk] Broken Rohn 25G Base Section

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 09:10:42 EDT 2004

In a message dated 7/7/2004 4:39:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal at comcast.net> writes:

>My suggestion would be to flush cut the remaining legs with
>the surface of the concrete base. Then drill a hole in the
>center of the concrete base for a pier pin instead, provided
>they make a pier pin base plate for the Rohn 25.
>
>A pier pin for the bottom section is a much better way to go
>anyway.  I use them an all my towers.  No worries about
>getting that first section straight and the resulting stress
>you place on the tower when it isn't perfectly vertical.

Ugh - I don't care for pier pins because of the time and effort needed to secure the temporary guys.

I'm doing a job right now with the same circumstances (tree fell on guys and pulled the top of the tower down) and what we're going to do is to drill the concrete base and epoxy in 3 or more anchor rods, put a nut on each rod (your hardware store allthread is plenty) and then use a flat mounting plate (drilled appropriately to mate with the anchor rods). Use the bottom nuts to plumb the first section and then secure with top nuts. Voila - quick and easy and no welding.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
888-833-3104