[TowerTalk] Broken Rohn 25G Base Section

Tony King - W4ZT towertalk1 at w4zt.com
Thu Jul 8 13:31:32 EDT 2004

At 09:03 AM 7/8/2004, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:
><snip>
>And the fourth reason is that 25G leg wall is really THIN. I don't think
>they're thick enough to weld too without putting a hole in the material.
>You can't Cadweld them either.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve    K7LXC
>TOWER TECH

I agree with the others that have said that the thickness of the material
isn't a problem with regard to welding it.  I routinely weld thinner
material.  Welding thin material is the ultimate exercise in heat control.
That's why our final exam in advanced TIG class was welding razor blades
sharp edge to sharp edge.  But, for most back yard welders, the tower legs
and aircraft tubing would be a futile exercise with the buzz box and
welding anything galvanized should be avoided. Certainly best to choose one
of the other many good options offered on the list.

73,
Tony W4ZT