[TowerTalk] Taller tower, shorter mast or vice versa?

Alan AB2OS ab2os at att.net
Wed Jul 21 18:46:28 EDT 2004

The township rules permit an antenna/tower/mast up to a max. of 70'
without a permit. I have settled on AN Wireless as my preferred tower
manufacturer, and their towers are in multiples of 10'. Thus a 60' tower
with a mast extending the remaining 10' gives me only 10' within which
to mount all my antennas -- or less, since I wouldn't want an antenna
immediately at the top of the tower. All I intend to put up at first is
a 3-el. SteppIR (which I *might* perhaps upgrade to a 4-el. later), and
perhaps a 2m/70cm beam, so for now that 10' mast is sufficient, but who
knows what I might decide to put up later?

Would it be preferable to get the 50' tower and a mast extending a
further 20'? The mast would obviously have to be something rather
substantial (chrome moly?), so there would be little cost saving over
the taller tower and the shorter mast.

Have other people wrestled with this question, and what decision was
reached?

Note: AN Wireless' surface area/wind loading specs already allow for the
antennas being mounted up to 10' above the top of the tower. If I went
with 20' of mast, I'd mount the SteppIR at about the 10' level and the
smaller antenna(s) above that.

Alan AB2OS