[TowerTalk] Taller tower, shorter mast or vice versa?

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Wed Jul 21 18:56:12 EDT 2004

20' of mast out the top of a tower is not only a big strain on the mast,
but also on the top of the tower.  Be sure that the tower, bearing, and
rotor combination can handle what you want to put up there.  It is also
much harder to service if you don't have a bucket truck handy... in fact
any more than as high as you can reach standing on top requires much
more work for installation and maintenance.  I would consider things
like ring rotors and side mounted fixed antennas before trying to push
up 20' of mast with antennas above the top of any tower.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net