[TowerTalk] re: surge protector

Greenacres113 at aol.com Greenacres113 at aol.com
Thu Jul 22 14:07:22 EDT 2004

i live in nw tennessee. we get lots of lightening. because it is a  rural
area we get line surges from hits several miles away besides the direct strokes.
my utility suggested i purchase a surge protector to be installed directly in
the meter socket fixture. it was $30 and they installed it  for free when
they did the final  service drop connection.
i have a local  tva co-op so they are a lot less strident about making a
profit or forcing too many minor rules. they   were actually helpful not like the
mega-utility i dealt with in chicago.
i do unplug when not in use but so far in 3 yrs no damage. also we get as
many phone line surges as electric line ones. don't forget the p.c. modem lines
either

k9il