[TowerTalk] Re: Thrust bearing

Jerry Keller k3bz at arrl.net
Thu Jul 22 16:18:48 EDT 2004

Sorry, in my previous post I should have mentioned:

My top "thrust bearing" is actually what N4NM calls a "pointy-top"... a tube attached to the top tower section thru which the mast passes... which acts as a guide. Inside the tube, the mast is protected to some degree against chafing by a thin polyethylene sheet wrapped around the mast as a bearing, plus plenty of grease. I used rubber plumbing adaptors ("Furnco's") as grease retainers top & bottom... one end hose-clamped to the mast and the other end a loose fit on the guide tube.  But the important point is that nearly all the weight is supported by those double-saddled muffler clamps sitting on the REAL thrust bearing that's between the guide tube and the rotator. I don't even use the setscrews, so scoring, etc, is not an issue.  I would think that using two actual TB's would work as well.

Rotator removal is not a problem because my tower tilts over, but if it didn't the TB taking the weight would allow me to R&R the rotator without disturbing the mast or antennas.

73,  Jerry K3BZ