[TowerTalk] Portable tower info

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 28 00:08:09 EDT 2004

what about a couple 20 foot lengths of some inexpensive lightweight tower?

Bolt it together and "iwo jima" it up. Use ropes to guy it out.

Presumably you're not doing some sort of contesting where you need to turn
the beam all the time, so leaving it to pivot and using a tag line or
armstrong method will work.

Can you use the truck itself as a base?  Think in terms of a eaves bracket
mount on the roof rack of the truck, base of tower on the ground.

What about something really simple (but remarkably heavy) like some nesting
sections of pipe?

How about a 30 foot extension ladder (about $200-250 at the hardware store)
ratchet strapped to the side of the truck?

Do you have a reasonably large area to spread out in?  How about a big
(giant) tripod scheme?  Think in terms of 15-20 foot "rigid guys" /legs
supporting a fairly flimsy mast.

How set are you on 40 feet?  Are you trying to clear some typical trees or
are you just looking for half wavelength or something?

How much erection/disassembly time is allowed?

(I decided after this last weekend that I am tired of slingshots and
trees... it takes too darn long, although it IS compact and lightweight... I
want 15 minutes from parking the car to on the air)