[TowerTalk] Portable tower info

Jim Rhodes k0xu at iowadsl.net
Wed Jul 28 00:47:53 EDT 2004

Our club managed to get a grant to purchase a US Tower light weight crankup
and built our own trailer based on a 2 axle boat trailer. There is an
onboard 3KW generator, hydraulics to lift the tower to vertical & an
electric winch to raise it. We have an A-3 tribander that is color coded
with colored electrical tape for easy assembly & carried in large plastic
pipes attached to the trailer. Also a dual band vhf/uhf vertical for
operation there. With side arms to hang dipoles for the lower bands we are
in business very quickly. Getting the tents up for Field Day is a bigger
job than setting up the tower.

If you are looking for something more portable than this, take a look at
the towers from Force 12. Light weight aluminum crankups. They looked a
little to light weight for what we wanted (and I believe cost more too).