[TowerTalk] Lossy matching networks

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Jun 23 06:12:46 EDT 2004

Why do so many people think a wide-band matching network is
lossy?
Sometimes technical discussions start to sound like the
propaganda put out by antenna salesmen.

We are indoctrinated to think traps are lossy, but that is
often not true. It takes a pretty bad trap to have
noticeable loss.

We are conditioned to think linear loading has less loss
than coils, but that is almost always not true. It takes a
lousy coil to be beat by linear loading.

Now when we start the technical snowballs flying about the
Step thing vs other antennas, we will have a whole new set
of techno-babble nonsense we may wind up accepting as fact.

73 Tom