[TowerTalk] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jun 23 06:56:49 EDT 2004

Having just repaired a couple of damaged elements in my top C-3E, I can
testify that separating elements that have been up as much as 9 years is no
problem if you used noalox, and drilling out rivets is no harder that
removing a metal tapping screw or loosening a tubing clamp.  I have even
added elements to these antennas (they used to be C-3s) in the air, using a
cordless drill and TEK screws.

One thing F12 does that is annoying (but may be required by their taper
schedules) is the use of elements that need swaged ends on individual
tubing sections.  This effectively requires (most of) us to buy the
replacement sections from F12.  I just bought two ~55" sections of 1/2 inch
element tubing from them, and the cost was $36 plus shipping.  Seemed steep
to me, and precludes quick fixes using aluminum on hand.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at