[TowerTalk] Coax, solid center

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 10:48:38 EST 2004

Kingsautomotive1 at alltel.net writes:

>     I am installing a beam or two, and have only coax with solid center.
>  (Belden 9913, etc.) Has any one used this successfully for the flexing
part?
>  Maybe a large, carefully supported loop? I have heard of using 1/2 "
>  corrugated hardline, so maybe it can hold up without breaking where the
mast
>  rotates. I would like to hear of anyone's experience here.

    No one recommends using 9913 or any solid centered coax where it has to
move occasionally; i.e. rotation loop. Besides the center conductor moving
around inside the air dielectric, the solid center conductor will work eventually
work harden and crack - bad news for any feedline. Terminate the 9913 at the
top of the tower and use any old stranded center conductor coax to the beam.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH