[TowerTalk] Glen Martin roof top towers

Jon, W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 10:44:06 EST 2004

  I am considering purchase of the 8 or 9 foot
*model. It would have a Hy-gain TH7DX tribander and a
*Tailtwister rotor on it. The TH7DX is a large antenna, and I'm
*concerned that it might be too much.

The 9' model is great.  I use one here that turns a CC 402CD (2 El 40M) and
a TH-7DXX for 7 years before I replaced the TH-7 with a SteppIr.  Been
through a lot of storms including the no-name hurricane force winds that
took down the whole affair.  The beams needed repair,  but the tower
suffered NO damage.  Pulled the entire mounting studs right off the deck.
The Glen Martin is mounted on a deck on the 4th level of my home which is
directly on the ocean here.

I've reinstalled it with a better base attaching system and works great.

I do not recommend their thrust bearing, however.  Mine rusted within a year
of putting it up.  I've replaced all the hardware with SS but it's still a
compromise.  I turn these beams with a T2X

YMMV

73,

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of Paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"