[TowerTalk] Why did adding a radial make the input Z of my inverted L go ...

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 08:58:13 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/19/04 5:20:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, jimsmith at shaw.ca
writes:
>>I was planning on making the antenna slightly long and putting a
variable C in series so I could resonate the antenna anywhere in the
band.  Maybe even motorize it.  From what you say, maybe the MkV tuner
will be good enough.<<

That is good way to get more out of loaded (or mobile) antenna. I would
prefer to use the series capacitor at the antenna and you should try it first.
Allows to tune the antenna within the band and gets more current in the vertical
part of radiator. Tuning it at the rig end complicates things, extra loses,
weird voltages.

73 GL  Yuri, K3BU.us