[TowerTalk] porcupines and such

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sun Mar 21 22:07:49 EST 2004

Bill,

I did not say the charge on the earth was "absolutely" uniform. It is just
significantly more uniform than that of the clouds because the earth is
considerably more conductive (I did not say earth was a superconductor
either) than the clouds, at least until ionisation takes place. Until
lightning strikes, currents are very low (if I recall, just before the main
discharge, currents are in the low amperes range), so the resistance of the
earth (which is measured in ohms, not hundreds of ohms in most cases) has
little effect, because potentials developed across the earth by these
currents are measured in volts, not kilovolts. Said another way, the
probability of lightning is not very dependent on the soil quality (even
though a VERY poorly conductive soil may affect the probability by raising
soil resistance to 10s of kilo-ohms possibly), but the effects of lightning
are. Please note I said IT IS NOT VERY DEPENDANT, I did not say IT IS NOT
DEPENDANT.

We certainly have generally conductive soil here in Florida, where it's all
soaked with water, some of it being salty water. Yet, we have lots of
lightnings.

I am talking about relative effects, not in absolute terms.

Of course the charge in the clouds will attract opposite charge on the
ground. Please note I equated the clouds and earth to a capacitor, and this
is how capacitors work (I refer you to your favorite electricity 101 book).
The point of the posting is that unlike someone said, the porcupines do not
dissipate the charge in the earth by an appreciable level. Their only
effect is to reduce the charge IN THE AIR around them. Not quite the same
thing. I did not say that was useless either, even though my belief is that
it is not very useful as a means of avoiding lightning strikes.

The presence of charges is not what causes lightning, it is the POTENTIAL
that matters, and how close the potential differential is sufficient to
cause ionization. Now, I agree that charges are what causes potential, It
would be the same thing as saying spending causes you to loose your credit.
It only causes you to loose your credit if you spend in excess of your
credit limit.

The charge on earth's side is considerably more uniform than that on the
clouds. When was the last time you saw lightning between two points ON
EARTH? Compare that to lightning between clouds, which are common.

There again, you should keep things in perspective, as it is all relative.

You can read the rest of the posting now :-)

73,
Didier KO4BB