[TowerTalk] Bad e-mail address

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Sat Nov 6 19:55:32 EST 2004

> I'm confused...What difference does it make whether he subscribed
> from the address or an alias.  The admistrator should still
> be able to delete him from the subscription list.

The MailMan software does not know about the alias and thus the
administrator CAN NOT FIND the "bad" address.  For example, if
I used the alias K4IK at arrl.net and had it pointed to my_email at hotmail.com
K4IK at arrl.net from this list, any postings would be sent to "K4IK at arrl.net"
The ARRL.NET server will strip "K4IK at arrl.net" from the header of the
message along.

Unfortunately, when hotmail.com receives the message for user "my_email"
it finds that account does not exist and sends an error message to the
originator of the e-mail which, in this case, is the person who posted
the ORIGINAL MESSAGE TO THE LIST.

Even if the errors went to the list administrator, the administrator
could do nothing about them since the list administrator has no way
of knowing which e-mail address (it doesn't necessarily have to be an
arrl.net address, there are other alias servers) is the alias for the
bad address.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK