[TowerTalk] Concrete Base?

Tom Anderson WW5L at gte.net
Sun Nov 14 12:44:15 EST 2004

Ted:

When I put in the 4x4x6 base  for my freestanding WT51 TriEX crankup 12
years ago I let the base cure a month and periodically sprinkled it with
water to keep it from drying out too fast (since I put it up in the
middle of a hot Texas summer) and developing cracks.  Previously when I
put up 40 ft of Rohn 25 at another QTH I let the base (3x3x3) dry a
couple weeks since the 40 ft. tower would be bracketed to my house.
Either way I sprinkled the concrete a couple times a day just to keep it
from drying out too fast.  With the Rohn I also attached the first 10
ft. section the the 3 foot base and roped it off to the fence and patio
so it would remain plumb throughout the drying process.  Also with the
Rohn I put in a layer of river rock gravel at the bottom of the hole so
the tower could drain any condensation into the ground and not collect
inside the tower legs and cause corrosion.

Tom, WW5L