[TowerTalk] Comtek box

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Nov 18 10:04:01 EST 2004

> I also have a single HF2V far away from the 4 square and
have done on the air tests with EU stations switching back
and forth between the two setups.  I'll admit the gain
testing may have also been affected by propagation, etc.
Also, I've done a lot of receiving testing looking at the
differences on the S meter on the rig (930S) while switching
between the two.  What I will state is that there is
definately an improvement.  Phil

Most S meters I've tested are OK over S-9, about 5 dB per S
unit near S-9, and drop to very low db/S unit values at the
low end of the scale. Of course some are better, some are
worse.

A few of my radios are 1dB per S unit at low S unit
readings, although they are very close around S9 plus.

I think the fact most S meters are less than 5dB per S unit
is behind manufacturers of miniquads and things making
exaggerated gain and F/B claims.