[TowerTalk] 40/30 SteppIR

jimjarvis at comcast.net jimjarvis at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 18:50:18 EDT 2004

TT:

This conversation has been going on with the Mertel's for over two years, now,
ever since I bought my 3 element version.

I've been trying to convince them that it makes sense to put 2 els for
40/30 on the same boom as their 3 el 20-10 yagi.   At most, you need to extend
the boom to 23'...and even that's a bit long for 30m.    Yes, you would have
more visible elements....possibly as many as 5.  And yes, you would need two
feedlines, one for 20-10,  and the other for 40/30.

There is no interaction, as the 40/30 can be withdrawn when operating above
those freqs., and vice-versa.   The design might even employ a moxon rectangle approach for 40, where the elements bend toward each other.   That would minimize the turning radius, if the BeCu tape would go around the corner.

The gating item is the need for a longer BeCu tape,  a larger spool to hold it, and therefore a larger motor housing to enclose it.   Molded plastics are pricey.

It appears that they're quite busy making the 20-10 meter versions, though, and aren't being distracted by such thinking.   If they bring it out, it's my next antenna, though.   Perhaps even a  2 stack.

N2EA