[TowerTalk] 40/30 SteppIR

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Thu Oct 7 20:08:55 EDT 2004

> Could one not (eventually) obtain a "replacement" DE for a
> MonstIR? Perhaps that could replace a 3L or 4L DE?

It might be possible to substitute a MonstIR DE into the 3L
yagi (20-6) but the 22:50 Ohm un-un would be a problem on
40 and 30 meters.  Mike and Jim would need to design a relay
switching arrangement to take out the un-un on 40 and 30 where
the antenna would perform like a rotary dipole.

> With a custom arrangement using replacement components, I'd
> guess that the problem would be programming the controller,
> but the possibility might eventually develop to "roll your
> own", from a dipole to a long-boom multi-element yagi.

Reprogramming the existing controller isn't a big deal if one
has access to the ATMEL tools.  The issues are a limit of five
stepper motor drivers and no relay outputs to handle impedance
changing.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK