[TowerTalk] Shields

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Oct 12 22:08:04 EDT 2004

> stayed away from the center conductor??? I don't know.
> But having good shielding is very important, I do
> know!

What's so special about a shield? If currents are equal and
opposite and conductors are very close, you don't need a
shield at all to prevent radiation at any distance.

I can have a 100ft long piece of twin lead with no shield at
all connected to my FT1000D with preamp on, and not hear a
signal at all on 80 meters. As a matter of fact I had a 2500
foot long homebrew open wire feeder, and could only just
barely detect signals in the noise on 80 meters when it was
terminated. There wasn't a shield on that transmission line
either.

One thing for certain, you certainly do need a jacket when
the weather is that cold!

73 Tom