[TowerTalk] Shields

Daron J. Wilson daron at wilson.org
Tue Oct 12 22:25:11 EDT 2004

> What's so special about a shield? If currents are equal and
> opposite and conductors are very close, you don't need a
> shield at all to prevent radiation at any distance.
>
> I can have a 100ft long piece of twin lead with no shield at
> all connected to my FT1000D with preamp on, and not hear a
> signal at all on 80 meters. As a matter of fact I had a 2500
> foot long homebrew open wire feeder, and could only just
> barely detect signals in the noise on 80 meters when it was
> terminated. There wasn't a shield on that transmission line
> either.

I'm sure you know the difference between balanced and unbalanced
feedlines.

But..if the shield is no matter, how about taking that RG8X and
stripping all that unneeded copper braid off completely?  I'm guessing
the manufacturers of coax sell a LOT more of the stuff with a braid on
it, and I'm still pretty sure there is a reason for it.

One thing for sure, I'm almost home and done typing while I drive!

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD          ) )
Telecom Manager               ( (
LH Morris Electric, Inc.       ) )
(541) 265-8067 office       _|****|  mmm!
(541) 265-7652 fax         ( |    |  coffee!
(541) 270-5886 cellular     \|    |
daron.wilson at lhmorris.com    |____|